Professor Loukas Mistelis, LLB (Athens), MLE (magna cum laude), Dr Iuris (summa cum laude) (Hanover), MCIArb, Advocate (Athens Bar)
Clive M Schmitthoff Professor of Transnational Commercial Law and Arbitration
Loukas Mistelis is a member of the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) where he is Director of the School of International Arbitration and the Clive M Schmitthoff Professor of Transnational Commercial Law and Arbitration. He is also co-ordinating the specialisations in International Commercial Law, Arbitration and Tax. He teaches at the LLM programme and is the co-ordinator of the courses in International and Comparative Commercial Arbitration and International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement and also teaches on the International Commercial Law, International Commercial Litigation and ADR courses. Loukas Mistelis has also developed directs our Diploma in International Arbitration by Distance Learning, the Diploma in International Mediation (ADR) by Distance Learning and the Diploma in International Arbitration, which is offered by CCLS with accreditation from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Loukas was the Secretary of the CISG-AC (Advisory Council of the Convention on Contract for the International Sale of Goods) from 2001 to the end of 2007 and co-ordinator of the Queen Mary Case Translation Programme, part of the CISG Database (IALL Website Award 2002). He also co-directs the International Arbitration Case Law Project.
He studied law at Athens (LLB) Strasbourg (Certificate in International & Comparative Human Rights); Hanover (Magister Legum Europae and Dr. iuris) and Keio (Certificate in Japanese International Trade Law). He is a Member of the Athens Bar (since 1993). Besides English he is fluent in German and Greek, has good knowledge of French, and basic knowledge of Polish, Spanish and Russian. He has also participated in a number of experts groups, including for the UK Department of Trade and Industry, the International Chamber of Commerce, UNCITRAL and UNCTAD. He is also Visiting Professor, NYU in London (since 2006), Pepperdine University London programme (2008-2011); was a Visiting Scholar at Columbia University Law School (spring semester 2007), Visiting Fellow at NYU Law School (2012), Visiting Professor at Keio University, Tokyo (2008), LUISS, Rome (2009) and Catholic University of Portugal, Lisbon (2007 and 2009). He is also an Academic Member of the Investment Treaty Forum, British Institute of International and Comparative Law and of the Institute of Transnational Arbitration.
Loukas Mistelis is an acknowledged authority on international dispute resolution. He has been listed as one of the “leading lights in international arbitration”, 45 under 45, amongst the top 15 highlighted members of the list and is also listed on the Who’s Who Commercial Arbitration since 2007. His substantial arbitration experience covers ICC, ICSID, LCIA, UNCITRAL, SCC, Swiss Chambers and Moscow cases. Parties in these cases were from Bangladesh, Egypt, Switzerland, France, Germany, Malaysia, India, Lithuania, Russia, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Canada, Nigeria, Ireland, Moldova, Ukraine, Korea, Czech Republic, Greece, France, Argentina, Turkey, Spain, UK, UAE and the United States. Subject matters included foreign direct investment, sales contracts, distribution agreements, counter-trade, mining, share purchase agreements, media contracts, administration of natural resources, oil and gas transactions.
- QLLM006 Alternative Dispute Resolution
- QLLM043 International and Comparative Commercial Arbitration
- QLLM050 International Commercial Law
- QLLM051 International Commercial Litigation- Commercial Conflict of Laws
- QLLM064 International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement
Loukas Mistelis' research focuses on international arbitration (in particular, the internationalisation and potential autonomy of commercial arbitration, investment arbitration and harmonisation of arbitration procedure), international commercial transactions (in particular, long-term contracts, international sales and trade finance), secured transactions, comparative law (in particular, legal transplants and the role of the judiciary), unification of private law, Central and Eastern European Law, and ADR. He has also an interest in foreign investment protection, energy and natural resources and BITs.
His research includes innovative empirical research into corporate attitudes towards dispute resolution, including:
- Choices in International Arbitration 
- International Arbitration: Corporate Attitudes and Practices  15 American Review of International Arbitration 525-593, ISSN: 1050-4109
- Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards and Settlement in International Arbitration: Corporate Attitudes and Practices  19 American Review of International Arbitration 320-375 and 377-389, ISSN: 1050-4109
- International Arbitration: Corporate Attitudes and Practices – Enforcement and Settlement
He has recently taken over the editorship (with Laurence Shore) of the multi-volume World Arbitration Reporter – International Encyclopaedia of Arbitration Law and Practice (Juris) which launched with the first five volumes in March 2010 (and updates in October and December 2010 and in January 2011, February 2012 and summer 2012) and the Smit Arbitration Guides. He is member of the Editorial Board of Arbitration International, of Global Arbitration Review, the Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, the International Journal of Arab Arbitration, the Journal of International Dispute Settlement, the Review of Arbitration and Mediation (Canada) and General Editor of the Oxford International Arbitration Series as well as an editor for Investmentclaims.com.
- UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) Commentary (co-editor with Stefan Kröll and Pilar Perales Viscasillas and author), Beck – Hart – Nomos 2011, 1251 + LXIII pages.
- International Arbitration and International Commercial Law: Synergy, Convergence and Evolution – Liber Amicorum Eric Bergsten (co-editor with Kröll, Perlaes Viscasillas and Rogers and author) Kluwer 2011.
- World Arbitration Reporter (general co-editor with Laurence Shore), Juris, 2nd edition, 2011
- Concise International Arbitration (general editor and author), Kluwer Law International, 2010 (1200 pages)
- Arbitrability in International Arbitration (Co-editor with Stavros Brekoulakis, and author), Kluwer International, 2009 (408 pages)
- Mandatory Rules of Law in International Arbitration (joint editor with George Bermann), 17(1-2) American Review of International Arbitration (2007); revised as book published by Juris in 2011 (340 pages)
- Arbitration Insights (Co-editor with J. Lew), The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2006, 536, ISBN 9041126066
- Pervasive Problems in International Arbitration (Co-Editor with J. Lew), The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2006, 391, ISBN: 904112450
- Commercial Law: Perspectives and Practice (Co-editor with J. Lowry), London: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2006, 298, ISBN: 1405710071
- Comparative International Commercial Arbitration (Co-author with D.M. Lew and S. Kroll), The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2003, 952, ISBN: 9041115684
- Foundations and Perspectives of International Trade Law (Co-editor with I. Fletcher and M. Cremona), London: Sweet & Maxwell, 2001, 567, ISBN: 0421741007
Journal Articles, Chapters in books
- Arbitral Seats – Choices and Competition, in Kroell, Mistelis, Perales Viscasillas & Rogers (Eds), International Arbitration and International Commercial Law: Synergy, Convergence and Evolution, Kluwer 2011, 363-379
- General Principles of Law and Transnational Rules in International Arbitration: An English Perspective, 5(2) World Arbitration and Mediation Review 201-230 (2011)
- Mandatory Rules in International Arbitration: Too Much Too Early or Too Little Too Late?”, (updated) [chapter in book] in George Bermann and Loukas Mistelis (eds), Mandatory Rules of Law in International Arbitration, pp 291-308, Juris Publishing 2010 – 9781933833668
- with Domenico Di Pietro, 1958 New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, in Mistelis (ed), Concise Arbitration. Kluwer 2010, pp. 1-32 [chapter in book]
- with Julian Lew and Josephine Davies, “LCIA Rules”, in Frank-Bernd Weigand (ed.), Practitioner's Handbook on International Commercial Arbitration, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press 2009, ISBN 978-0-19-953486-9
- The Settlement-Enforcement Dynamic in International Arbitration, 19(3-4) American Review of International Arbitration 377-390 (2008)
- (with Baltag C), Denial of Benefits and Article 17 of the Energy Charter Treaty, 113(4) Penn State Law Review 101-122 (2009
- CISG and Arbitration, in CISG Methodology, Editors: Janssen, A, Meyer, O, Sellier, pages 375-397 (2008)
- Mandatory Rules in International Arbitration: Too Much Too Early or Too Little Too Late. American Review of International Arbitration vol. 18, 217-228 (2008).
- Reality Test: Current State of Affairs in Theory and Practice Relating to "Lex Arbitri". American Review of International Arbitration, 155-181 (2008).
- Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards and Settlement in International Arbitration. American Review of International Arbitration vol. 19, ((3-4)) 319-375.
- (With Kritzer A, Monitneri C) . The Case and How it is Changing International Commercial Law. The Vis Book – A Participant’s Guide to the Willem C Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Editors: Walker, J (2008)
- The Scope of Application of CISG. International Sales Law – United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG), Editors: Atamer, Y, Levha Publishers, 1-21, 2008
- (With Baltag C) (2008) . Trends and Challenges in International Arbitration: Two Surveys of Inhouse Counsel of Major Corporations. WAMR – World Arbitration and Mediation Review vol. 5, (2) 83-110.
- Reality Test: Current State of Affairs in Theory and Practice Relating to "Lex Arbitri", in Zivil- und Wirtschaftsrecht im Europäischen und Globalen Kontext / Private and Commercial Law in a European and Global Context - Festschrift für Norbert Horn zum 70. Geburtstag 1005 (K.P. Berger, G. Borges, H. Herrmann, A. Schlüter and U. Wackerbarth, eds., 2006), ISBN 978-3-89949-242-2
- Arbitration Insights: Evolution and Themes, in Arbitration Insights 1 (L. Mistelis and J.D.M. Lew eds., Kluwer, 2006)
- Workshop on Research, Teaching and Training in International Arbitration: An Introduction  22 Arbitration International 243-247, ISSN: 0957-0411
- Confidentiality and Third Party Participation in Investment Arbitration  21(2) Arbitration International 205-225, ISSN: 09570411 and in T. Weiler (Editor) International Investment Law and Arbitration: Leading Cases from the ICSID, NAFTA, Bilateral Treaties and Customary International Law, London: Cameron May: London, 2005, 169-199, ISBN: 1905017073
- International Arbitration: Corporate Attitudes and Practices  15 American Review of International Arbitration 525-593, ISSN: 1050-4109
- UNIDROIT Principles Applied as "Most Appropriate Rules of Law" in a Swedish Arbitral Award  8(3) Uniform Law Review 631-640, ISSN: 1124-3694
- ADR in England and Wales: A Successful Case of Public Private Partnership, in N. Alexander (Editor), Global Trends in Mediation, Cologne: Centrale für Mediation, 2003, 137-178, ISBN: 3935098111
- CISG-AC Publishes First Opinion  15 Pace International Law Review 453-456, ISSN: 0902-7351
- Is Harmonisation a Necessary Evil? Use and Abuse of Comparative Law and the Future of Harmonisation, in I. Fletecher, L. Mistellis and M. Cremona (Editors), Foundations and Perspectives of International Trade Law, London: Sweet & Maxwell, 2001, 1-27, ISBN: 0421741007
- ADR in England and Wales  12 American Review of International Arbitration 167-221, ISSN: 1050-4109
- Taming the Dragons of Uniform Law: Sharing the reasoning of courts and arbitral awards (Co-author with A.H. Kritzer)  5(2) Vindobona Journal of International Commercial Law and Arbitration 282-309, ISSN: 1439-9741
- Regulatory aspects: Globalisation, harmonisation, legal transplants and law reform - Preliminary remarks. Editors: Lastra, RM, vol. 18, 155-179.
Other Selected Publications
Charakterisierungen und Qualifikation im internationalen Privatrecht: Zur Lehre einer parteispezifischen Qualifikation im Kollisionsrecht der privaten Wirtschaft, Tubingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1999, 309, ISBN: 3161471229
- Director of the School of International Arbitration at Queen Mary
- Member of the Energy and Natural Resources Law Institute
- 2016 International Dispute Resolution Survey reveals lack of expertise crippling technology dispute arbitration
16 January 2017
- New book published: 'The Role of Arbitration in Shipping Law' edited by Dr Miriam Goldby and Professor Loukas Mistelis
7 November 2016
- 2016 London Annual Summit on Commercial Dispute Resolution in China
12 July 2016
- Professor Loukas Mistelis speaks at event on "Gender (in)Equality in International Arbitration"
8 June 2016
- Professor Brekoulakis and Professor Mistelis speaks at 2016 Annual EFILA Conference
16 February 2016
- Professor Loukas Mistelis to give keynote speech at Joint UNCITRAL-LAC Conference on Dispute Settlement in Ljubljana
11 January 2016
- Professor Loukas Mistelis to speak at KLRCA International Investment Arbitration Conference 2016
15 December 2015
- QMUL to co-organise the 'London Annual Summit on Commercial Dispute Resolution in China' on 6 July 2015
3 June 2015
- EFILA and School of International Arbitration at QMUL respond to the criticism against ISDS
19 May 2015
- Professor Loukas Mistelis is keynote speaker at ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF)
9 April 2015
- Professor Loukas Mistelis is to speak at the Leading Arbitrators Symposium in Vienna on 30 March 2015
24 March 2015
- Professor Mistelis speaks at CityUK on London as a hub for dispute resolution
19 March 2015
- Professor Loukas Mistelis to speak at Cambridge Arbitration Day
5 March 2015
- QMUL Partners with Chinese University of Hong Kong for new Arbitration Survey in China
20 November 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis to speak at the Fifth Executive Training Programme for Young Energy Leaders
30 October 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis in the Financial Times 'Arbitration cases heard in London surpass financial crisis peak'
5 August 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis 'Yukos oil company ruling could take years to enforce'
29 July 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis, Gloria Maria Alvarez and Mary Mitsi respond to EU consultation on the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership Agreement
28 July 2014
- School of Law research referenced in The Economist - International commercial law: exorbitant privilege
22 May 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis spoke at Signing Ceremony of the Memorandum of Understanding with Qatar International Center for Conciliation and Arbitration QICCA
5 May 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis wins global award for best Arbitration Lecture of 2013
19 February 2014
- Arbitration Award for top lecture of 2013
19 February 2014
- Professor Loukas Mistelis to speak at ADR as Public Policy: Domestic and International Perspectives at Penn State University
28 January 2014
- Queen Mary report on Commercial Court Fees included in Ministry of Justice Consultation
17 December 2013
- Professor Loukas Mistelis gave keynote speech at Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC) seminar
28 November 2013
- CCLS Professors Hörnle and Mistelis giving open guest lectures in Singapore in August
12 August 2013
- Professor Loukas Mistelis spoke at the 'Common European Sales Law Meets Reality - A European Debate on the Commission's Proposal' in Germany on 14-15 June 2013
19 June 2013
- School of International Arbitration nominated for Transnational Dispute Management Award
28 January 2013
- Professor Loukas Mistelis - International Arbitration: 'Marriage Guidance for Business' in BBC News
11 December 2012
- Professor Loukas Mistelis is to speak at an arbitration conference organised by the Ukrainian Bar Association 15-16 November 2012
13 September 2012
- Professor Mistelis and Dr Brekoulakis to speak at Cyprus Eurasia Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Centre Conference 18 November 2011
15 November 2011