Professor George Walker, BA, LLB (Hons), DIPLP (Glasgow), DAES (Bruges), LLM (London), PhD (London), DPhil (Oxford)
Professor of International Financial Law
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8087Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
George Walker is the Professor of International Financial Law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary University, of London. He was Deputy Head of the International Financial Law Unit and Head of the Banking and Finance division. He was Acting Head between 2002 and 2004.
He is a Barrister and Member of the Honourable Society of Inner Temple in London. He is a Member of the New York Bar and was previously a Solicitor in Scotland and England and Wales. He has been a Legal Consultant with Farrer & Co, Solicitors, London and was formerly a Solicitor in Edinburgh and with various major City of London law firms.
He has held a visiting research position at Harvard University for two years and subsequently at Georgetown Law School, Washington DC. He was an external examiner at Hong Kong University and has been a Visiting Academic Scholar at the Law School, University of Tokyo, Japan. He has been a Visiting Professor at Glasgow University and a Visiting Fellow at Edinburgh University. He has been the Senior Examiner for the Chartered Securities and Investments Institute (formerly the London Stock Exchange) in Financial Regulation and Compliance (Financial Services Law) since 2000. He was awarded a highly distinguished Major Research Fellowship with the Leverhulme Trust for 2011-2013 to work in the area of Financial Law and International Financial Law.
He has been a Legal Consultant with the International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC since 1999 and has spent a number of summers working at their head office in Washington. He has acted on a number of significant international law reform projects including with the Fund, World Bank, EBRD as well as with the Asia Development Bank and with various national governments. He has worked on thirty separate country law projects to date including in Eastern Europe, South America, Africa, Asia and China (including on Chinese financial conglomerates and bank insolvency). He has also assisted a separate Working Group on Japanese Financial Conglomerates.
He is author of the leading reference texts International Banking Regulation – Law, Policy and Practice (Kluwer, 2001) and European Banking Law – Policy and Programme Construction (British Institute of International Comparative and Commercial Law (BICCL, 2006).
He is co-author and editor of the new leading UK texts with Michael Blair QC, former General Counsel Financial Services Authority London (FSA), on Financial Services Law (Oxford University Press (OUP), 2006) and Financial Markets and Exchanges Law (OUP, 2007).
He was co-author of the earlier leading UK texts on Banking and Financial Services Regulation (Butterworths, 3rd 2002) and of Blackstone’s Guide to the Financial Services and Markets Act (Blackstones, 2001). He is an Assistant Editor of the Encyclopaedia of Banking Law (Butterworths,5 Volumes, Looseleaf) and of the monthly online Banking Law Update. He is also an Assistant Editor of Butterworths Financial Regulation Services (Butterworths, 7 Volumes, Looseleaf).
He was formerly Executive Editor of the Financial Times, Financial Regulation Report and now Informa, Financial Regulation International. He is co-editor of various book series. He has published a large number of other refereed and other journal articles as well as made numerous chapter and conference contributions.
George's current research is focused on a number of key trends in banking and financial law at the UK, European and international law levels. Current major research proposals are in the areas of UK Financial Regulatory Reform and International Capital Standards.
Publications Since 2001
- Financial Services Law (Co-Editor with M. Blair), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, 1040, ISBN: 0199285799
- Financial Markets and Exchanges Law (Co-Editor with M. Blair), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, 552, ISBN: 0199285802
- Financial Markets and Exchanges, in M. Blair and G. Walker (Editors), Financial Markets and Exchanges Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, ISBN: 0199285802
- International Exchange Standards, in M. Blair and G. Walker (Editors), Financial Markets and Exchanges Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, ISBN: 0199285802
- Financial Services Authority, in M. Blair and G. Walker (Editors), Financial Services Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, ISBN: 0199285799
- Banks and Banking, in M. Blair and G. Walker (Editors), Financial Services Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006, ISBN: 0199285799
- European Financial Programme: Content, Structure and Completion  15(3) European Business Law Review 305-664, ISSN: 0959-6941
- Banking and Financial Services Regulation, 3ed, (Co-author with W. Blair, A. Allison, G. Morton, K. Palmer and P. Richards-Carpenter), London: Butterworths, 2002, ISBN: 0406949875
- Financial Regulation Service (Assistant Editor), London: Butterworths, 2002-2006, ISBN: 0406941319
- International Banking Regulation: Law, Policy and Practice, The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2001, 622, ISBN: 904119794X
- Blackstone's Guide to the Financial Services and Markets Act, 2000 (Co-author with M. Blair, L. Minghella, M. Taylor and M. Threipland), Oxford: Blackstone Press, 2001, ISBN: 1841741167
- Encyclopaedia of Banking Law (Assistant Editor), London: Butterworths, 1996-2006, ISBN: 0406998108
- Financial Services Regulation (Assistant Editor), London: 6 volumes loose leaf, Butterworths, 1996-2006, ISBN: 040699866
- European Financial Programme: Content, Structure and Completion  15
- European Business Law Review 305-664, ISSN: 0959-6941
- Member of the Institute of International Financial Law