Audley William Sheppard, LLB (Hons) and BCommerce (Victoria, Wellington), LLM (Cambridge), FCIArb
Audley Sheppard is a Partner in the International Commercial Arbitration and International Law Groups of Clifford Chance LLP in London. He was recently named in Practical Law Co’s global list of "Which lawyer?'s top 20 arbitration specialists". Audley has LLB (Hons) and BCommerce from Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, and an LLM from the University of Cambridge, England. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies. Audley's positions include: Rapporteur of the International Arbitration Committee of the International Law Association (1996-2006); Co-Chair of the Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association (2006-07), following a year as Senior Vice-Chair and three years as Newsletter Editor; Member on the ICC Commission on International Arbitration (2000-present).
Audley is on the Steering Committee of BIICL's Investment Treaty Forum and is a co-editor of BIICL's Investment Treaty Law: Current Issues (vol. 1, 2006) (with Dr Federico Ortino and Hugo Warner). He is on the Editorial Boards of the International Arbitration Law Review and the IBA's Business Law International. Audley was an external examiner of the LLM course on International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement (2004-06).
- “Interim and Final Reports and Recommendations on Public Policy as a Bar to Enforcement of International Arbitral awards”, published by the International Law Association (2000 and 2002), and reprinted in Arbitration International, 2003, vol. 14, at 217 (together with Professor Pierre Mayer);
- “Interim and Final Reports on Res Judicata and Arbitration and Final Report on Lis Pendens and Arbitration”, published by the International Law Association (2004 and 2006) (with Professor Filip De Ly);
- “Annotations to the (English) Arbitration Act 1996”, published in Sweet & Maxwell Current Law Statutes series, 1997;
- Chapter on England and Wales, published in European Lawyer's Arbitration World Jurisdictional Comparison 2004 and 2006; "The Scope and Res Judicata Effect of Arbitral Awards", in Arbitral Procedure at the Dawn of the New Millenium (Brussels, Bruylant, 2005);
- "Res Judicata and Estoppel", in B. Cremades & J. Lew (eds), Parallel State and Arbitral Procedures in International Arbitration (Paris, ICC Publishing, 2005);
- “Conflict of Legal Privileges in International Arbitration: An Attempt to Find a Holistic Solution”, in G. Aksen, K.-H. Bockstiegel, M.J. Mustill, P.M. Patocchi and A.M. Whitesell (eds), Global Reflections on International Law, Commerce and Dispute Resoluition: Liber Amicorum in Honour of Robert Briner (Paris, ICC Publishing, 2005) (with Dr Fabian von Schlabrendorff);
- "Privilege and Confidentiality in Arbitration", in M. Koehnen (ed.), Privilege and Confidentiality (London, IBA Publishing, 2006 (with Dr Fabian von Schlabrendorff);
- "The Distinction between Lawful and Unlawful Expropriation", in C. Ribeiro (ed.), Investment Arbitration and the Energy Charter Treaty (New York, JurisNet LLC, 2006);
- "International Agreements Covering Foreign Investment in Services: Patterns and Linkages" in L. Bartels and F. Ortino (eds), Regional Trade Agreements and the WTO Legal System (Oxford: OUP, due December 2006) (with Dr Federico Ortino).