Professor Johanna Gibson, BA (Hons I), MA, PGDipAppSci, JD (Queensland), PhD (Edinburgh), Solicitor and Barrister to the Supreme Court of Victoria
Herchel Smith Professor of Intellectual Property Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 8068
Johanna Gibson is Herchel Smith Professor of Intellectual Property Law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) and Editor-In-Chief of the Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP). She has consulted widely to industry, government, NGOs and the profession, and has been a visiting professor to institutions around the world, including the Queensland University of Technology (Australia), Monash University (Australia), the University of Toronto (Canada) and the Institute of Musical Research (School of Advanced Studies, UK). Johanna is a founding member of the International Society for the History and Theory of Intellectual Property (ISHTIP) and a current member of the executive committee (2007-2014). Johanna is also series editor for Intellectual Property, Theory, Culture (Ashgate) and series co-editor (with Trevor Cook) for Intellectual Property: Practitioner Series (Edward Elgar Publishing) and has held numerous research council grants and private research consultancies across a range of intellectual property issues and areas. She has considerable media experience across television, radio and newspapers, including interviews with CNBC, BBC Radio 4, Wall Street Journal, The Guardian and The Times. Johanna also manages a comprehensive and competitive internship programme through QMJIP for Intellectual Property LLM students. Johanna was previously Director of the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI) 2007-2014 and Director of the Intellectual Property Institute (2010-2013). Before joining CCLS, Johanna practised law in Melbourne, Australia at Allens Arthur Robinson, specialising in Intellectual Property, Media and Communications Law and Competition Law.
- QLLM041 Intellectual Property Aspects of Medicine
- QLLM123 Intellectual Property, Fashion and Design
- QLLM196 The Law of Film
Professor Gibson has a particular interest in intellectual property, cultural and socio-economíc development. She has a research background in cultural studies, critical theory, film, art history and law, and maintains interdisciplinary research interests and publications. Her most recent book The Logic of Innovation (2014) explores the complex terrain of creativity, ownership and use in the digital envirionment. Her earlier book on the relationship between intellectual property systems, protection and the narration of culture and innovation, Creating Selves: Intellectual Property and the Narration of Culture (2006), was cited with approval in the HM Treasury’s Gower’s Review. She is currently researching on the relationship between intellectual property, fashion, products and identity, Fashioning Intellectual Property, to be published in 2015. She has also led a major research consultancy for the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) on authors’ earnings (pre-launched as “What Are Words Worth Now” in the House of Commons in 2014) which has received considerable international press. Her major report to the IPO on Lookalikes [PDF] (co-authored with Professor Phillip Johnson and Professor Jonathan Freeman) was cited in Parliament during debates on the Intellectual Property Act 2014 and led to major a consultation by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
Johanna works also on current policy and developments in the areas of biotechnology and intellectual property aspects of medicine and her book, Intellectual Property, Medicine and Health (2009) is currently being revised in a second edition. She was also supported by an AHRC grant to examine patents and biotechnology in the research project, Patenting Lives, which appeared in the edited collection Patenting Lives: Life Patents, Culture and Development (2008).
Johanna has also worked extensively in the area of traditional and indigenous knowledge, including her first book Community Resources: Intellectual Property, International Trade and the Protection of Traditional Knowledge (2005) and is preparing another book for publication by OUP in 2015/16.
Johanna’s studies in animal sciences focus on animal behaviour and animal-assisting learning and therapy, in which she maintains a research interest. She is also an academic member of the Association for the Studies of Animal Behaviour (ASAB).
Works in Progress:
- Traditional Knowledge (OUP) – forthcoming 2016
- Fashioning Intellectual Property (Ashgate) – forthcoming 2015
- Intellectual Property, Medicine and Health: Current Debates, 2nd edition (Ashgate) – forthcoming 2015
- Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society – final report forthcoming 2014
Examples of research funding:
- ALCS (2013-2014) – The Business of Being an Author
- Intellectual Property Office (2011-2013) – The Impact of Lookalikes
- Microsoft (2010-2012) – Innovation and strategy in intellectual property education
- TELES De (2009-2012) – Computability of Inventive Step
- ECIF/HEFCE (2009) – Development of continuing professional development in a university environment Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA) (2008)
- AHRC – Patenting Lives – Dissemination Scheme (2007)
- AHRC – Patenting Lives (2004-2007)
- Brunel University – Strategic development fund (2004)
- The Logic of Innovation: Intellectual Property and What the User Found There, Ashgate, 2014
- Intellectual Property, Medicine and Health: Current Debates, Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, 2009, ISBN
- Patenting Lives: Life Patents, Culture and Development (Editor), Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, 2008, ISBN: 0754671046
- Creating Selves: Intellectual Property and the Narration of Culture, Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006, 178, ISBN: 0754647072
- Community Resources: Intellectual Property, International Trade and Protection of Traditional Knowledge, Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, 2005, 387, ISBN: 0754644367
- “Looks Familiar: Fashion, Design and Diverse Identities in the Digital.” Book Chapter in Diversity in Intellectual Property: Identities, Interests and Intersections, Calboli I and Ragavan S (eds), Cambridge UP, Forthcoming 2014.
- “The Directive Proposal on Criminal Sanctions.” Book Chapter in Criminal Enforcement: A Handbook of Contemporary Research, Geiger C (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2012, ISBN 978-1849801461
- “Community Rights to Culture: The UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.” Book Chapter in Reflections on the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Allen S & Xanthaki A (eds), Hart Publishing, 2011, ISBN 978-1841138787
- “Future Developments.” Book Chapter in Modern Law of Patents, Roughton A et al (eds), 2nd ed, LexisNexis, 2010.
- “Access to Medicines and the Right to (Cultural) Life.” Book Chapter in The Right to Life and the Value of Life, York J (ed), Ashgate Publishing, 2010, ISBN 978-0754677611
- “The Lay of the Land: The Geography of Traditional Cultural Expression.” Book Chapter in Intellectual Property and Traditional Cultural Expressions in a Digital Environment, Graber C & Burri-Nenova M (eds), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2008, ISBN 9781847209214
- “Patent Publics, Patent Cultures.” Book Chapter in Patenting Lives: Life Patents, Culture and Development, Gibson J (ed), Ashgate Publishing, 2008, ISBN 07546871046
- “Traditional Knowledge and the Public Domain.” Book Chapter in Intellectual Property: The Many Faces of the Public Domain, MacQueen H & Waelde C (eds), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007, ISBN 9781845428747
- “Knowledge and Other Values: Traditional Knowledge and the Limitations of Intellectual Property.” Book Chapter in Emerging Issues in Intellectual Property: Trade, Technology and Market Freedom Essays in Honour of Herchel Smith, Westkamp G (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007, ISBN 1845427750
- “Communities Beyond Place.” Book Chapter in Sustainability and Communities of Place, Maida C (ed), Bergahn Books, 2007, ISBN 1845450167
- “Open Access, Open Source, and Free Software: Is There a Copy Left?” Book Chapter in New Directions in Copyright IV, Macmillan F (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007, ISBN 1845422635
- “A Right to My Public: Human Right, Copyright, or Privacy?” Book Chapter in New Directions in Copyright III, Macmillan F (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006, ISBN 1845422627
- “Community and the Exhaustion of Culture: Creative Territories in Traditional Cultural Expressions.” Book Chapter in New Directions in Copyright III, Macmillan F (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006, ISBN 1845422627
- “Freedoms and Knowledge, Access and Silence: Traditional Knowledge and Freedom of Speech.” Book Chapter in New Directions in Copyright II, Macmillan F (ed), Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006, ISBN 1845422615
- “Community in Resources, Traditional in Knowledge.” Book Chapter in Returning (to) Communities: Theory, Culture and Political Practice of the Communal, Herbechter S & Higgins M (eds), Rodopi, 2006, ISBN 9042018984
- “Open to Question: The Open Congress Event and Its Users.” Book Chapter in Media Mutandis: A NODE London Reader, Surveying Art, Technologies and Politics, Francis MA et al (ed), NODE/Arts Council, 2006, ISBN 0955243505
- “Community Resources: Intellectual Property Systems, Traditional Knowledge, and the Global Legal Authority of Local Community.” Book Chapter in Managing the Commons: Indigenous Rights, Economic Development and Identity, Merino L & Robson J (eds), Instituto de Ecologia (INE), 2005, ISBN 9688177377.
- Let me tell you a story ... intellectual property, character, narration, 1(2) Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 2011, 112-29, ISSN: 2045-9807
- The UDHR and the Group: Individual and Community Rights to Culture, 30(1) Hamline Journal of Public Law and Policy, Fall 2008, ISSN 07361033
- The Discovery of Invention: Gene Patents and the Question of Patentability,  12 Journal of Intellectual Property Rights 45-56, ISSN: 0971-5544
- Consumer Protection: Consumer Strategies and the European Market in Genetically Modified Foods, , 5 Northwestern Journal of Technology & Intellectual Property, 176-191
- Markets in Tradition: Traditional Agricultural Communities and the Impact of GMOs  3(3) SCRIPT-ed 216-225, ISSN: 1744-2567
- Zur Durchsetzbarkeit von Immaterialgüterrechten in Bulgarien (Co-author with M. Blakeney and G. Westkamp)  15(9) Wirtschaft und Recht in Osteuropa 271-276, ISSN: 0941-6293
- The Gowers Review of Intellectual Property: A Valuable Affair  3(1) SCRIPT-ed 2, ISSN: 1744-2567
- Patenting Lives: Life Patents, Culture, and Development  11(2) Journal of Intellectual Property Rights 103-112, ISSN: 0971-5544
- Patenting Lives  2(3) SCRIPT-ed 319, ISSN: 1744-2567
- Intellectual Property Systems, Traditional Knowledge, and the Legal Authority of Community  26 European Intellectual Property Review 280-290, ISSN: 0142-0461
- Indigenous Resources and the International Context for Protection  1(1) SCRIPT-ed 48-82, ISSN: 1744-2567
- Trading Places With Communities: Toward the Protection of Traditional Knowledge in the Context of International Trade and Global Markets  2(1) Journal of International Trade Law and Policy, ISSN: 1477-0024
- The National Encroachment Upon Community Space: Recent Australian Decisions in Indigenous Rights to Natural Resources  2(2) Xchanges
- Self-Preservation is the First Law of Nature: Conserving the Cultural Diversity in India's Biological Resources  24(1) South Asian Review 62-75, ISSN: 0275-9527
- The Cultural Diversity in Biodiversity: The Protection of Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Resources in a Global Context  2 (Spring) Situation Analysis 46-61, ISSN: 1478-2014
- Justice of Precedent, Justness of Equity: Equitable Protection and Remedies for Indigenous Intellectual Property  6(4) Australian Indigenous Law Reporter 1-21, ISSN: 1323-7756
- Human Rites: The Very Public Affair of Genetic Engineering and Policy, 33(1) Southern Review, 2000, 22-51, ISSN 00374526
- An Ethical Speech for Dumb Animals, 30(1) Southern Review, 1997, 81-93, ISSN 00384526
- Contributing Editor (Intellectual Property), Jowitt’s Dictionary of English Law, Greenberg D (ed), 3rd edition, Sweet & Maxwell, 2010, ISBN 9781847036261
- Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) – What Are Words Worth Now? (Preliminary Report), 2014. Full Report forthcoming 2014.
- Intellectual Property Office (IPO) – The Impact of Lookalikes, 2013.
- Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission – International Knowledge Transfer, 2011.
- European Patent Office/ European Patent Academy and Norway Intellectual Property Office – The Dissemination of Intellectual Property Knowledge in Universities: Road Map for Norway, 2009.
- European Patent Office/European Patent Academy and Bulgarian Patent Office – The Dissemination of Intellectual Property Knowledge in Universities: Road Map for Bulgaria, 2008.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) - P6, A New Approach: A Review of Revised Models for the Education, Training and Examination of Patent Attorney Trainees, 2008.
- Scottish Executive – Generation Scotland: Legal and Ethical Aspects (co-author G Laurie), 2003.
Professor Gibson welcomes students in all areas of intellectual property, legal theory and culture, with a particular interest in the creative industries (particularly fashion, literature, film and visual arts and theory), traditional knowledge, biodiversity, medicine, development and human rights.
- Editor-In-Chief, Queen Mary Intellectual Property Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP), 2013—
- Intellectual Property Office Expert Advisory Group Unregistered Rights, Member, 2014—
- Intellectual Property Office Expert Advisory Group Trade and Development, Chair, 2011-14
- Consultant Editor (with Lord Hoffmann), Queen Mary Intellectual Property Journal of Intellectual Property (QMJIP), 2011-2013
- Academic Member, Patents County Court/Intellectual Property Enterprise Court Users’ Committee, 2012-14
- CIPA Academic Liaison Committee, 2011—
- Director, Intellectual Property Institute, 2010-2013
- Expert Member, DG Research and Innovation Advisory Panel, International Knowledge Transfer, 2010-2011
- EPO Road-Map Author, Norway, 2009-2010
- Academic Director, QUEDOS, 2009
- EPO Road-Map Author, Bulgaria, 2008-2009
- Director, Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI), 2007-2014
- International Society for the History and Theory of Intellectual Property (ISHTIP), founding and executive member, 2007—
- CIPA Education Sub-Committee, 2006—
- Legal Advisor, UK EU Presidency Creative Economy Conference, 2005
- Association for the Teaching and Research of Intellectual Property (ATRIP)
- British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association (BLACA)
- Society of Legal Scholars (SLS)
- Association for the Studies of Animal Behaviour (ASAB)