As a new, dedicated London based Institute, with a focus on energy transactions, trade, law, regulation and governance, dispute resolution and conflict management, ELI’s research will engage with regulators, governments, business and practice. Its aim is to facilitate the coherent development of energy law, regulation and governance.
We are already very research active and have a number of collaborations going with several the universities and with the EU Commission, the UK electricity regulator and UK research councils.
Research is on-going on a number of topics:
- Energy Law for New Energy Technologies
This research is part of a European Union Horizon 2020 grant with project partners in the Norway, the UK, the Netherlands and Germany.
- The Future of Energy Law
The focus of this research project explores the future direction of energy law at international, national and local levels.
- Liability in the Energy Sector
This is part of on-going work related to liability for existing and new energy technology and also for nuclear energy which is research being completed with engineers.
- Comparative Law and Fracking
This is a comparative law project examining fracking in different jurisdictions.
- Energy Justice
We examine issues in relation to the application of the principles of justice in the energy value chain and for different energy sources. Legal issues from mining to electricity markets to the management of energy waste are considered.
- Ms Norah Gallagher
ELI Publications Academic Year 2015-2016
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Heffron, R. J. and Talus. K. 2016. The Evolution of Energy Law and Energy Jurisprudence: Insights for Energy Analysts and Researchers. Energy Research and Social Science. (in-press).
- Heffron, R. J. and Talus. K. 2016. The development of energy law in the 21st century: a paradigm shift? Journal of World Energy Law and Business. (in-press)
- Sovacool, B, Heffron, R. J., McCauley, D & Goldthau, A 2016. Energy decisions reframed as justice and ethical concerns. Nature Energy, doi: 10.1038/nenergy.2016.24
- Gallagher, N. 2016. Role of China in Investment: BITs, SOEs, Private Enterprises, and Evolution of Policy. ICSID Review, Vol. 31, (1), 88–103
- Heffron, R., Ashley, S. and Nuttall, W. J. 2016. The Global Nuclear Liability Regime Post Fukushima Daiichi. Progress in Nuclear Energy 90 (July 2016), 1-10.
- Jenkins, K, McCauley, D , Heffron, R, Stephan, H & Rehner, R. 2016. Energy justice: a conceptual review. Energy Research and Social Science, 11, 174-182
- McCauley, D, Heffron, R, Pavlenko, M, Rehner, RWM & Holmes, RT. 2016. Energy justice in the Arctic: implications for energy infrastructural development. Energy Research and Social Science, vol 17, pp. 56-65
- Thaeter, R. and Goldberg, S. 2015. The Reform of the Renewable Energy Act in Germany. Energy Regulation Quarterly, Vol. 3 (2), 23-28
- Jenkins, K. Heffron, R, J. & McCauley, D. 2016, 'The Political Economy of Energy Justice in Canada, the UK and Australia: A Nuclear Energy Perspective'. in T Graaf, B Sovacool, A Ghosh & M Klare (eds), (2016). The Palgrave Handbook of the International Political Economy of Energy. Palgrave.
- Heffron, R. (2016, June). The Implications of the Paris Agreement and climate change from a legal perspective. (May, 2016, Issue 105, pp. 10-13). The Oxford Energy Forum: A Quarterly Journal.
- Heffron, R. (2016, Apr). Keeping the Lights On: Brexit poses potential benefits and challenges for the future of British energy policy. Angle Journal.
- Heffron, R. J. & McCauley, D. 2017.The concept of energy justice across the disciplines. Energy Policy, 105, 658-667
- Heffron, R. J. 2016. The Global Future of Energy Law. International Energy Law Review, 7, 290- 295
- Heffron, R. J. and McManus, F. 2016. Environmental Impact Assessment. Environmental Law in Scotland, 20, 1-28
- Heffron R.J., and Little G. (Eds). 2016. Delivering Energy Law and Policy in the EU and US: A Reader. Edinburgh University Press: UK
- Leal-Arcas, R. 2016. The European Energy Union: The Quest for Secure, Affordable and Sustainable Energy. Claeys & Casteels Publishing: Belgium
- Heffron. R. J. 2015. Energy Law. Roundhall, Sweet & Maxwell, Thomson Reuters: Dublin, Ireland.