The Institute has established an Energy Forum to help to support the ENLRI achieve the highest academic standards and promote its reputation for thought leadership. The Forum aims to bring together leaders in the industry to share different views across a range of critical topics that anticipate significant impact on the energy industry. The Forum provides a trusted and independent environment. Debate is enriched through its diverse and international membership including academics, law firms, vertically integrated energy companies, E&Ps, natural resources, regulators, policy makers, generators and renewable energy companies.
The Speakers of our First Energy Forum:Paul Skinner, Sam Laidlaw, Lord Mogg, Lord O’Donnell, Silke Goldberg, Ed Davey, Raphael Heffron [Legal Challenges to Achieving an EU Energy Union (22 October 2015)]
ELI Energy Forum events
The Institute has created the Forum as an opportunity for academically led discussion (under the Chatham House rule) of the current legal and economic issues in the sector.
The next Forum event is scheduled for 28 September 2017 and is to be chaired by the Rt Hon Sir Oliver Letwin.
For further information on Forum participation and membership, please contact Maria Taylor, Chair Energy Forum, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)788 1511 420.
Current Trends in International Energy Arbitration (7 June 2017)
Professor Sir Bernard Rix, CCLS moderated a panel of experts that included:
- Graham Coop - Partner, Volterra Fietta
- Richard Edwards - Snr Managing Director, FTI
- Professor Maxi Scherer - Director, LLM Paris Programme; Chair in International Arbitration, Dispute Resolution and Energy Law at CCLS
- Craig Tevendale - Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Sarah Vasani - Partner, Addleshaw Goddard.
The Role and Future of Energy Subsidies (17 November 2016)
Professor Rafael Leal-Arcas, Professor of European and International Economic Law, Queen Mary, University of London moderated a panel of experts that included:
- Michelle T Davies - Partner Eversheds International and Head of Clean Energy and Sustainability
- Gordon Nardell QC - 20 Essex St
- Dr Rahmat Poudineh - Lead Research Fellow, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies
- Guido Prearo - Senior Developer, Canadian Solar.
The Material Adverse Change Clause - friend or foe? (15 September 2016)
Professor Philip Rawlings, The Roy Goode Professor of Commercial Law moderated a panel of experts that included:
- The Hon. Mr Justice Blair - The Royal Courts of Justice
- William Breeze - Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Nigel Drew - Partner, DLA Piper
- Neil Q Miller - Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright
- Professor Loukas Mistelis - Clive M Schmitthoff Professor of Transnational Commercial Law and Arbitration, Centre for Commercial Law Studies.
Science, Law and Climate Change - innovating sustainable solutions (4 February 2016)
Leo Johnson, Partner PWC moderated a panel of experts that included:
- Lord Richard Layard, Director of Wellbeing Programme, LSE Centre for Economic Performance, Emeritus Professor of Economics
- Professor Rafael Leal-Arcas, Professor of European and International Economic Law, Queen Mary University of London
- Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith FRS, Director of Energy research, Oxford University, and President of the Council of SESAME (Synchrotron-light for experimental science and its applications in the Middle East)
- Peter Zaman, Partner Reed Smith.
The legal impact of sustained low energy prices (19 May 2016)
Henry Byam Cook, Barrister moderated a panel of experts that included:
- Salman Ahmed, Global Strategist Lombard Odier Asset Management (Europe) Ltd
- Eric Bensaude, Managing Director, Cheniere
- Julia Derrick, Senior Associate in Global Energy, Ashurt LLP
- Alexander Holroyd, Director, FTI Consulting.